A security door can be a great investment for any home or commercial property, helping to maximise safety, provide aesthetic appeal, and even increase the retail value of the space.
But, as with any home security feature, it’s important for you to understand how long your security door will last — and how to properly maintain it — if you want to make the most of your investment.
To make sure your Perth home is secure and you can rest easy (whether you’re at home or not), here’s everything you need to know about security door durability.
Are security doors durable?
In a word…yes.
In a few more words, they are essentially external doors that are reinforced with some type of metal. The whole point of a security door is to provide a door option that is more secure, durable, and difficult to damage than any alternative — so, by design, these doors are *extremely* durable.
Additionally, because they’re generally made from steel, aluminum, or stainless steel, security doors are much more durable than hardwood alternatives.
Check out our premium content (it’s 100% free) – How to Choose Best Security Doors
Do they require maintenance?
Because they’re made from some tough materials, it’s easy to think that they don’t require any maintenance. But this isn’t necessarily true, and there’s a lot that you can do to keep your security door in top condition. This includes:
Your security door, like the rest of your Perth house, is going to be consistently exposed to the elements. If you never wash or clean your door, this can translate to an accumulation of pollutants, dirt, debris, and even cobwebs. Over time, this can not only negatively impact the appearance of your door but also its functionality (like, for example, if hinges are clogged up with gunk).
To prevent this from happening, we recommend that you clean your door every once in a while (at least every 3 months). To get this right, you can:
- Use a wet sponge to remove any obvious dirt or debris
- Use a soft brush coated with mild detergent to clean away any caked-on residue
- Rinse the entire door with clean water.
Lock and Hinge Lubrication
After your door is clean, you can use lubricant to make sure that your locks and hinges are working as well as they should. To get this right, you simply move the lock and door through its different positions while applying lubricant. Doing this preventatively will prevent any squeaking or jamming.
Get Your Security Door Inspected
Finally, you can inspect your door yourself (or get it professionally inspected) to check for signs of damage or forced entry.
This can help you spot any repair or replace problems before they become real issues, and follow up on your security door 10 year door and installation warranty if necessary. Some repair or replacement needs that you might notice include:
- Re-wiring: The mesh on your security door (if it has mesh) could become damaged due to wear-and-tear or accidental impact. If that happens, you should organise a repair immediately.
- Lock replacement: Locks can become loose over time. It’s important to stay on top of this crucial security measure and replace your lock quickly — with a high-quality standard cylinder lock or combination lock — whenever necessary.
- A deteriorating door frame: Over time, your house can move. This can make wooden door frames deteriorate or make doors stick.
- Wonky hinges: After long-term use or impact damage, the hinges on your security door might need to be replaced.
You might also need to sand or repaint your door to improve the aesthetic appeal over time. That said, the types of repairs that your door will need will vary based on the type of security door that you choose. Options here include:
- Hinged security doors
- Sliding security doors
- Pool regulation compliant security doors
- Custom-made security doors
How long do security doors last?
They are one of the most durable and long-lasting door options available. As a result, they have a life expectancy of 30+ years. This number can vary depending on the type of door you choose, the usage required, as well as external factors like weather or accidental damage.
What’s more, these doors generally offer lasting protection against the elements, and efficiency, as these doors can block out both heat and cold, and rust and scratch resistance.
How do I find the best security door provider?
Looking for the right professional to install — and possibly maintain — your home or commercial property’s security door?
To find the right person for the job, make sure to ask:
- How many doors have they installed over the years? This can help establish expertise and skill.
- What type of experience do they have with your particular type of install?
- How will they address any problems that arise during or after the installation?
- What type of warranties do they offer? The best companies will provide both a product and an installation warranty.
- Are they up-to-date with local codes and homeowners requirements?
- Can they provide a comprehensive quote?
- Do they offer competitive pricing?
- Do they conduct any testing post-installation to insure that the door is installed correctly?
- Does your team have any specialised training that allows you to work effectively with metal door materials?
- Have you had any accidents on the job? Do you know how to avoid an accident?
Are they worth it?
Nobody wants to need a security door, and we all want to believe that our home and our loved ones are safe. That said, Western Australia is known to have the highest rate of break-ins in Australia, with a yearly average of 25,000 dwelling burglaries and 30,000 cases of property damage
With these numbers in mind, it’s important to remain prepared for the inevitable and ensure that your home does not become a part of those statistics. A simple security door — or additional elements like security screens, security screen doors and roller shutters — can help.
Looking for a long-lasting and reliable door?
They can be a valuable, long-lasting addition to any home or commercial property, providing additional peace of mind at a totally reasonable cost.
The best part? Modern security doors Perth are made to last a lifetime, making them one of the most sound investments you can ever make.